At the General Women’s Meeting on Saturday, Sister Neill F. Marriott told how she attended a Young Women’s camp in Alaska. Before camp the 900 girls attending carefully memorized The Living Christ. One night at camp they all stood together and recited The Living Christ. Sister Marriott explained how strongly she felt the Spirit and how she wished she could join them, but “I hadn’t paid the price of memorization” she said. Then she said for Christmas she wished to have the document “memorized and securely held” in her heart. This is her Christmas gift to the Lord. She has inspired me to memorize The Living Christ by Christmas as well. It is something I wanted to do for a while, but it just never happened.
Will you also memorize the document with Sister Marriott? The best part is you can use it as a value project!
Starting today, September 30, there are roughly twelve weeks until Christmas. I spilt up The Living Christ into 11 sections. It is as simple as memorizing one each week and reviewing everything the 12th week.
Before you get started ponder these questions:
- What is the “price of memorization” Sister Marriott talked about?
- What does it mean to have something “memorized and securely held” in your heart. How is that different from having it “memorized and securely held” in your mind?
- How can memorizing the Living Christ be a Christmas gift to the Lord?
Things to try:
- Work on a little every day. (“By small and simple things are great thing brought to pass.” Alma 37:6)
- Keep a notebook to show your progress
- Start and end with a prayer
I created some worksheets to help you on your journey. To get started click here.